Thursday, May 14, 2009

Keeping the Muses Happy

Inspiration is like a wild child. It bounces up in front of you when you least expect it and begs you to indulge it. While focus is important to complete your major projects, if you ignore these other inspirations, you might miss out on something worth-while.

Unfortunately, inspiration doesn't always strike at the most convenient times. Usually, the opposite.

One of my friends has a "cooking muse" which inspires her to create all sorts of interesting, experimental meals. Her talks about her cooking muse have woken mine from a deep sleep it seems... I love cooking for people. I love creating my very own recipes that people love to eat. But I haven't done much "real" cooking in a very long time. I had forgotten how much I missed it. recently, I've been rediscovering all of my old recipes and experimenting with new ones.

Maintaining a well-balanced indulgence of your other Muses (inspirations/passions, etc) can help give invigorate your writing. Who knows, they might even inspire new story ideas! Last night after my little cooking experiment, I had an idea for a character that I might just have to include in my next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment