Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spontaneous Overflow of Emotion

Ever notice how dreams can take everything you know, shake it up and provoke very strong emotions from the resulting situations in the dream. I woke from a dream the other day and felt the emotions from the dream, long after the memory of the dream had faded in the daylight.

That's the kind of emotion which tends to spontaneously overflow into creative writing. I had a story idea based on the dream, or at least a scene between two old characters, but I didn't have the time to write it and the emotion passed.

Do you think it is better to write in the passion of the moment, or to write with a clear head, reflecting upon the moment?

1 comment:

  1. If you can write in the moment, that's best but not always feasible. So it's good that we writers learn to do both.

    I know exactly what you mean about the impact of dreams; I had one like that the other night and the impact stayed with me just about all day! LOL

    ReplyDelete